Tuesday

Urban Landsape of Loneliness

The title of this blog is a quote I heard today while attending the WIFT event. ( Women in Film and Television). There was an interview with a director of one of the short films being presented and this was the way in which she described Toronto. She was an incredibly articular woman; very attractive, an activist for human rights and a winner of several awards for her creative work.To say the least, rather impressive. That being said, I didn't like her short.
It was a slow, winding, boring piece about a pregnant woman contiplating suicide. The lack of dialogue, constant buzzing of the depressing music, and repetative pretentious images left me feeling bored.. well.. to death. ( ahh, sweet irony!)

However, as she described her first encounters with this city, it all struck a cord. In a metropolitan melting pot that is Toronto, how is it that there are so many lonely souls?
While on my way back home from this event, being consumed by thought, i accidentally took the longer subway route, and therefore was forced to swtch 3 trains. After getting pushed, almost hit in the face with a door, shouted at by a complete stranger, I was home.

Sit on the subway, and you will see the meaning of desperation. God forbid anyone makes any eye contact; so awkward and uncomfortable! Sometimes, I even catch people looking at each other through reflections on the subway windows and doors, just to avoid making any real human connection. jeez, it's not like you have to marry the person; a simple recognition of their existance could be enough to make someone feel less isolated.
But NO. In a country where people see each other as replacable as the tires on their newly aquired Mercedes, a gesture such as smiling is simply out.of.date.
The last time i got some eye contact and a smile, it was followed by "Can i have some change for the subway? i'm a student who lives in Missisauga so i need $5.50 to get home" (i gave 4 dollars, and i still regret it, that lying bastard!)

Nowdays, the only way to feel like your life is worth a fuck, is to get a new friend request on facebook, or well.. hmm.. start a blog. And I must say, this attitude transcends subway manners between strangers into relationships in general. Everyone is more guarded, more consumed by their own burdening insecurities, more judgmental of insignificant and superficial details, and fundementally.. less appealing to talk to. Vicious cycle my friends...

So I urge all my loyal readers ( meaning you Nellie) to start doing those little things that make the big differences and let even strangers feel a slight bit of comfort and warmth in our cold urban landscape of loneliness.

That is, unless they're ugly.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. Which isn't to say I'll start being, you know, nicer or anything like that, but I was thinking about it so I suppose that's a step in the right direction? ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete